These facts and statistics give a picture of diversity in the UK population in general and in film in particular.
Diversity in the UK
- In 2006 there were more 55-64 year olds than 16-24 year olds for the first time. (Source: Employers Forum on Age)
- There are 9.8 million people with a disability in the UK, which represents one person in seven, and is more than the combined population of Wales and Scotland. (Source: Disability Rights Commission)
- The majority of the UK population are white (92%). The remaining 8% (4.6 million people) belong to other ethnic groups, of which the largest are Indian, Pakistani and mixed ethnic backgrounds. (Source: Office of National Statistics)
- 75% of people in the UK have a religion. The main religions are Christian (72%) and Muslim (3%). (Source: Office of National Statistics)
- There is no agreed figure for the numbers of lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals in the UK because of the lack of national surveys. Stormbreak estimates that between 5% and 7% of the population falls into these three groups. (Source: Stormbreak)
Diversity in film
The following statistics are taken from the UK Film Council Statistical Yearbook
- In 2007 38,634 people worked in the film and video industry, 8% down on the 2006 figure. This was made up of 22,579 employed in film and video production, 11,516 in film exhibition and 4,521 in distribution.
- The geographical concentration of the production and distribution workforce slightly increased in 2007, with 79% of production and 85% of distribution workforces being located in London and the South East. The film exhibition workforce was in line with the UK average.
- The age profile of the film production industry shows a concentration in the 25-50 brackets, with fewer workers under 50 compared to the UK average. There is a marked difference between the age profiles of men and women with the majority of women being under 35, whilst two thirds of men were over 35.
- There are concentrations of men and women in different occupational groups within the film production workforce, for example only 3% of those in construction and 5% in sound/electrical are women, compared with make-up and hairdressing where women form 85% of the workforce.
- People from BAME groups made up only 5% of the film production workforce, below the UK all-sectors average of 7% and well below the overall BAME workforce in London of 24%.
- Disabled people are under-represented in the film audience, except for retail video and DVD.
- Films in 34 different languages (including English) were released in the UK in 2007.
All external links will open in a new browser window. Close the window to return to this page.