There are many groups which are excluded from, or under-represented in, film audiences. To develop new services which will have wider appeal cinemas, distributors and film festival organisers can:
- set up advisory groups made up of audience members or potential audience members, to discuss the improvements that would benefit them.
- introduce special interest films into cinema programmes
- arrange ‘film clubs’ in cinemas for groups with special requirements, such as young families
- create community cinemas, including mobile cinemas, for audiences in rural areas
- set up independent cinemas or film societies
- organise themed film festivals
- schedule film festivals to run as touring programmes
- install digital projection equipment to enable screenings of a more diverse range of films
- make physical and technological changes to support people with disabilities. See Top tips on disabled access.